account.microsoft.com services & Support
Renew Microsoft subscription
- Go to Services & Subscriptions. You may be asked to sign in.
- Locate the subscription. If you can’t find it on the list, see if it’s a Microsoft subscription or from a third party.
- Select Turn on auto-renew and then follow the instructions.
- If auto-renew is already on, but your subscription expired anyway, it’s likely your credit card expired or is invalid. Get more info on how to Add, update, or remove a credit card.
- If your subscription has expired, you might not have the option to turn on auto-renew.
- To renew without turning on auto-renew, select Renew and follow the instructions. If you don’t see Renew, the subscription may have started with a prepaid card. You can buy a new subscription at Microsoft Store. Or, you might have a past-due balance that must be resolved before you can renew.
- When you’re done, we’ll send an email confirming the renewal. If you don’t see it in your inbox, check your junk mail or spam folder.
Subscription renewal dates and billing dates
Microsoft is in the process of changing how subscription renewal and billing dates are set. Your subscription will follow one of two schedules.
Your account billing date is set on the day you first buy something with your account. From that day on, that’s the date we’ll charge your payment option if there are any pending charges like a monthly subscription.
Example: If you buy your first app in the Windows Store on April 12, then your account billing date is the 12th of the month. You’ll only be charged when there’s a renewing, pending, or past-due balance.
Your subscription renewal date starts on the day you sign up that subscription. From that day on, that’s the day we’ll renew that subscription. That date can be different for each subscription.
Example: Let’s say your account billing date is like the example above, so it’s on the 12th of the month. If you sign up for a monthly subscription on May 1, then it will renew on May 1 and will be charged to your payment option on your account billing date, April 12.
If you have multiple subscriptions that renew between two account billing dates, those subscriptions would each get charged to your payment option(s) on the same date.
Your subscription will be renewed and billed on the same day.
To pay a past-due balance immediately, sign into your services & subscription page, select Pay now for the subscription, and follow the instructions.
Pending and past-due balances
- “Pending” means that we renewed your subscription according to its terms, but we haven’t tried to charge your payment option yet.
- When a balance is “past-due,” it means we’ve tried to charge your payment option, but it didn’t work. We’ll keep retrying, and if it continues to not work the subscription will be cancelled.
Change how you pay for a Microsoft subscription
Auto-renew subscriptions: You can change how you pay at any time unless your payment is past due.
- Go to Services and subscriptions and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- If you’re updating your child’s subscription, make sure you sign in with their account, not yours.
- Find the subscription in the list, and then select Change how you pay.
- If you turn off auto-renew, you won’t be able to change how you pay for it. Learn more about cancelling a subscription or turning off auto-renew.
- Choose a new way to pay from the list, or select Add a new way to pay and follow the instructions.
- If you want to use a prepaid subscription code, turn off auto-renew on the old subscription. When it expires, redeem.
Pay for a past-due Microsoft subscription
- Sign in to services & subscriptions with your Microsoft account.
- Find your past-due subscription in the list, and then select Pay now.
- Change how you pay. If your credit card has expired, update it with the new expiration date. If your credit card is no longer valid or you want to change cards, add a new way to pay. You can’t pay for a past-due subscription with a gift card, subscription card, or with your Microsoft account balance. Get more info about how to Add, update, or remove a payment option.
- Once your payment option is all set, select Next to make the payment.
Need Support? Call 1-877-701-2611 toll-free 24*7 Customer Service Number